Thursday 16 June 2016

My diagnosis/story

Not the most exciting post but thought I'd just share my story of my diagnosis as I've read many online, each being very different.
I got diagnosed with RA about 3 years ago, after suffering symptoms a year and a half before. It was a long-winded process that definitely wasn't straightforward.
The pain and swelling started in my hands and wrists with no known injury or cause while in my last year of school (age 17).. at first I thought nothing of it until these pains became regular, now in both hands, wrists and shoulders making daily activities and sleep increasingly difficult. I initially went to my GP who prescribed ibuprofen and sent me home. A few weeks later I woke up with my left hand almost double the size of my right hand at the knuckles, very red and very painful so went to A&E who again prescribed ibuprofen and gave me a sling.
I continued to have what I now know to be flare ups in my joints but felt reluctant to go back to the GP as I felt it was a waste of time to just be prescribed ibuprofen (which doesn't touch the pain at all) again and again. It wasn't until I started working at Sainsbury's where I went back to the GP due to having to take time off work and was having constant sleepless nights due to pain! Another 2 appointments later I managed to get blood tests and finally felt like I was getting somewhere towards finding out the cause of the problems!
After a mix up with the blood test results, I was eventually told I had RA and got referred to the rheumatology team at St George's Hospital where I have been treated since.
I was started on anti-inflammatories (diclofenac) which eased the pain but by no means got rid of it so at my next appointment I was offered Hydroxychloroquine, a Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drug which suppresses the immune system and helps tackle the underlying disease process rather than the symptoms. However, it was a tough decision, weighing out the pros and cons of taking a medication like this, although not very harmful, being young it isn't always a good idea to be on too much medication.
I decided to take it which was one of the better decisions I have made in my life as my symptoms and flare ups were under control, just in time for me to start my course at uni!!

No comments:

Post a Comment